Skip to main content

Ethics of documentaries

 What is the definition of ethics:

The discipline of dealing with what is good and bad, with moral duty and obligation. A standard of principles determined by an individual.

Documentary makers do have a set of morals referred to as the code of ethics. These are a set of principles to keep their integrity intact. A couple of examples of these codes include: The director must not interfere with the subject's life path, subjects may not be paid for their use in the film, and all parties involved in the film must be given the opportunity to represent themself. 

The Jink is renowned for serious controversy in ethics when it was found the director hid evidence against Robert Durst. However many people found outside the film world that they violated the world. Robert Durst was convicted and arrested due to this documentary. Documentary is often very biased and always aims to create an emotion. The subjects themselves give the right to film them, therefore it is not unethical.

'The person behind the camera is just as important as the person in front of the camera. A subject-filmmaker relationship is crucial. Unlike fiction films where every inch of it is manipulated and crafted to whatever the director wants, documentary films are open-ended and inconclusive and more in touch with society, and document the present world; the good and the bad, and how we can change the world.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEuMExQoj74&t=424s





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Codes and conventions of documentary

Codes and conventions of documentary

Preliminary task: editing using Premiere Pro

 Although I have already decided that for my preliminary task, I will be editing using Davinci Resolve due to it being more accessible, while I'm at school, I decided to edit the preliminary task with Premiere Pro as well just to compare the results.                                           I used Premiere Pro last year to edit my tasks but in my opinion, I found it far harder to use than Davinci Resolve, however now I am getting more comfortable with this software and would like to start using it more by practicing on it.

Ideas for the questions in my surveys

In my documentary due to the topic being sensitive I would like to complete my own research in which the candidates will appear anonymous. I believe this will provide a much stronger meaning and reinforce real statistics rather than statistics found on the internet. I aim to create a survey that any male individual can participate if they wish; I then want to compare these results with each other and see if there are trends which become macro or micro. I am not quite sure yet if I want to make the samples micro but more detailed, or macro and less detailed. I believe it would be better if I made the sample on the survey macro and then I can conclude an interview with a participant which focuses in more detail on the topic. I am also considering doing a survey for females, in which they state their beliefs into the terrible topic of male suicide. I feel like this would be beneficial to spread awareness to people. I have thought of numerous examples which I may use in my survey such as: ...