Skip to main content

Analysis of establishing shots

 Today I decided to analyze the establishing shots from Panorama 'Is the cloud damaging our planet'. I really liked the idea of establishing shots that were used in this documentary. In my documentary, I would like there to be a significant focus on establishing shots of scenery. This is due to the reason that I really enjoy using establishing shots in my productions and really enjoy filming them.

I believe establishing shots helps to bring a product together, by setting the overall tone, scene, and emotional state of the film. For example, my topic is quite sensitive but I believe if there is a calming establishing shot such as a sunset, it helps to completely calm the setting of the product.



Overall, this is the first establishing shot that really stuck out to me, I really like the use of the ide shot within it to show the whole setting. This is the sort of style of establishing shot that I would wish to create. I believe it really creates a sense of calm among the audience.


This is another shot that I really like, however, I feel as if this shot will be much harder to create than the first, however, I do still really enjoy the sense of calm about the shot.

The final shot, that stuck out to me was this establishing shot, however, I believe that it would be far harder to find than the others. I do like how the night and the contrasting light collide though, I will still keep this shot in mind when it comes to picking which shots I use in my final product.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Codes and conventions of documentary

Codes and conventions of documentary

Preliminary task: editing using Premiere Pro

 Although I have already decided that for my preliminary task, I will be editing using Davinci Resolve due to it being more accessible, while I'm at school, I decided to edit the preliminary task with Premiere Pro as well just to compare the results.                                           I used Premiere Pro last year to edit my tasks but in my opinion, I found it far harder to use than Davinci Resolve, however now I am getting more comfortable with this software and would like to start using it more by practicing on it.

Critical reflection essay

  According to Steve Neale, codes and conventions ultimately convey the idea of documentaries such as interview formats, non-diegetic voiceovers, diegetic music, onscreen graphics, and the use of mise en scene. ‘Our Silent Emergency’ by Roman Kemp (2021), doubtlessly influenced my documentary in its use of conventions. Kemp tends to narrate the documentary through a non-diegetic voiceover, which is an element that I have adapted in mine. During my research on Bill Nicholls's six types of documentaries, I gained the inspiration to create a participatory documentary; I felt as if this subgenre of documentary perfectly matches the description of what I wanted to create. This led me to believe my documentary was participatory because it includes people in front of the camera and not just my experience with the topic such as performative documentaries.   Another convention in which I decided to research was editing   and the use of montage and juxtaposition. In my opinion...