Skip to main content

Preliminary task: feedback


 Today, I received some feedback from my teacher on the preliminary task. The first thing that was mentioned to me was the technical aspect of the camera. They said that the camera position is too low, forcing the audience to view unnecessary parts of the background. It was also mentioned that the camera was not straight, I will ensure this is not the case next time.

However, one thing that was pointed out to me was the position of the interviewee. I was told that this was good as it created an open environment for the audience and interviewee. Another technical aspect that was mentioned to me was there was only one type of shot which was a medium shot. Next time, I plan to have a two-camera set-up so I can do close-ups.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Codes and conventions of documentary

Codes and conventions of documentary

Preliminary task: editing using Premiere Pro

 Although I have already decided that for my preliminary task, I will be editing using Davinci Resolve due to it being more accessible, while I'm at school, I decided to edit the preliminary task with Premiere Pro as well just to compare the results.                                           I used Premiere Pro last year to edit my tasks but in my opinion, I found it far harder to use than Davinci Resolve, however now I am getting more comfortable with this software and would like to start using it more by practicing on it.

Critical reflection essay

  According to Steve Neale, codes and conventions ultimately convey the idea of documentaries such as interview formats, non-diegetic voiceovers, diegetic music, onscreen graphics, and the use of mise en scene. ‘Our Silent Emergency’ by Roman Kemp (2021), doubtlessly influenced my documentary in its use of conventions. Kemp tends to narrate the documentary through a non-diegetic voiceover, which is an element that I have adapted in mine. During my research on Bill Nicholls's six types of documentaries, I gained the inspiration to create a participatory documentary; I felt as if this subgenre of documentary perfectly matches the description of what I wanted to create. This led me to believe my documentary was participatory because it includes people in front of the camera and not just my experience with the topic such as performative documentaries.   Another convention in which I decided to research was editing   and the use of montage and juxtaposition. In my opinion...