Skip to main content

History of documentary


 Before documentaries (pre-1900) there were products that were called actual films. This portrayed their meaning which was to capture shortcuts of real actual events.  The first movies ever made were documentaries. They were also called newsreels. Actuality films lasted one minute or less

During the 1920s in Russia, this could be described as the spirit of the documentary. The documentary started with the young poet and editor named Dziga Vertov. He created a series along with others called the Kino-Eye during the Russian Revolution.

However, the first original documentary in the world was called Nanook of the North, by Robert Flaherty (1922). The film records the lives of a real Eskimo family. However, the first time that the word documentary was used was in 1926 by John Grierson, he defined the word as a word to describe a non-fiction film.

During the 1930s and 1940s, documentaries became valuable propaganda tools for political purposes. Nazi Germany, America, and Britain were all a part of this. Documentaries were frequently used for this reason during World War 2.

During the 1950s-70s Cinéma Vérité and Direct Cinema occurred. New technology and lighter camera equipment. New filmmaking styles emerged to capture more spontaneous events. During the 1960s-90s, television became an important outlet for documentary filmmaking, putting more of an emphasis on journalistic and educational programs. In present times, documentaries have a boosted popularity due to the help of blockbusters.

Over time documentaries have evolved to become longer in length and to include more categories. They have now evolved to be very informative and are often used to teach principles. Documentary makers have a responsibility to be truthful to their vision of the world without misrepresenting a topic. Social media platforms have enabled documentaries to reach new audiences and have provided growth for the genre; increasing distribution area and ease of accessibility.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Codes and conventions of documentary

Codes and conventions of documentary

Preliminary task: editing using Premiere Pro

 Although I have already decided that for my preliminary task, I will be editing using Davinci Resolve due to it being more accessible, while I'm at school, I decided to edit the preliminary task with Premiere Pro as well just to compare the results.                                           I used Premiere Pro last year to edit my tasks but in my opinion, I found it far harder to use than Davinci Resolve, however now I am getting more comfortable with this software and would like to start using it more by practicing on it.

Ideas for the questions in my surveys

In my documentary due to the topic being sensitive I would like to complete my own research in which the candidates will appear anonymous. I believe this will provide a much stronger meaning and reinforce real statistics rather than statistics found on the internet. I aim to create a survey that any male individual can participate if they wish; I then want to compare these results with each other and see if there are trends which become macro or micro. I am not quite sure yet if I want to make the samples micro but more detailed, or macro and less detailed. I believe it would be better if I made the sample on the survey macro and then I can conclude an interview with a participant which focuses in more detail on the topic. I am also considering doing a survey for females, in which they state their beliefs into the terrible topic of male suicide. I feel like this would be beneficial to spread awareness to people. I have thought of numerous examples which I may use in my survey such as: ...