Skip to main content

Possible documentary ideas and planning

Over the course of time, I have spent researching different documentary styles and topics I have decided to base my documentary around the idea of men's mental health. Mental health is an extremely broad, vast, and expansive subject. Due to this issue, I have been trying to narrow down my ideas and research into certain areas of this topic and have come up with a few various questions which could become the topic of my documentary.

Throughout my research, I noticed certain patterns within the subject of men's mental health which consist of:

  • The stigma of men not being able to open up about emotion.
  • Record and rising levels of male suicides in the UK
  • Social media impacts the awareness of the issue
  • COVIDs relation to men's mental health
After finding these conventions of the subject matter, I would like to focus my attention on the impact of rising men's mental health awareness

Which has enabled me to come up with the question I would like to pose, 

What is the impact of rising awareness for men's mental health?

I want the documentary to focus on a number of interviews to create statistics, I would then like to analyze answers, by comparing them to each other and finding out if there is a consensus between men regardless of age or background. 
I also plan to analyze what has happened due to this rising issue:

  • Mental health programs that have been introduced to try and deal with this issue
  • Statistics - whether they are rising or falling
  • A conclusion- to whether this issue is able to be mitigated or not.
I have also been looking at focusing on the idea that social media has raised awareness and potentially contributed to solving this global crisis. I have come up with the question:

How has social media contributed to the rising awareness of men's mental health?

I think that this idea would make a really good documentary, however, I feel that it wouldn't be as interesting as filming about how we are seeing the globalization of this issue.

For this idea, I don't think it would be as interview-based and led but more statistic based which I don't really want. I want to hear public opinions on men's mental health from more of a personal point of view. I also feel this idea would subject a certain age group which wouldn't allow me to compare my findings in a very detailed way.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Codes and conventions of documentary

Codes and conventions of documentary

Preliminary task: editing using Premiere Pro

 Although I have already decided that for my preliminary task, I will be editing using Davinci Resolve due to it being more accessible, while I'm at school, I decided to edit the preliminary task with Premiere Pro as well just to compare the results.                                           I used Premiere Pro last year to edit my tasks but in my opinion, I found it far harder to use than Davinci Resolve, however now I am getting more comfortable with this software and would like to start using it more by practicing on it.

Ideas for the questions in my surveys

In my documentary due to the topic being sensitive I would like to complete my own research in which the candidates will appear anonymous. I believe this will provide a much stronger meaning and reinforce real statistics rather than statistics found on the internet. I aim to create a survey that any male individual can participate if they wish; I then want to compare these results with each other and see if there are trends which become macro or micro. I am not quite sure yet if I want to make the samples micro but more detailed, or macro and less detailed. I believe it would be better if I made the sample on the survey macro and then I can conclude an interview with a participant which focuses in more detail on the topic. I am also considering doing a survey for females, in which they state their beliefs into the terrible topic of male suicide. I feel like this would be beneficial to spread awareness to people. I have thought of numerous examples which I may use in my survey such as: ...