Skip to main content

Vertov

Dziga Vertov was a pioneering Soviet documentary film and newsreel filmmaker as well as a cinema theorist. He was born in Russia, with the name David Abelevich Kaufman but he often went by the name Denis Kaufman. He was born on 2 January 1896 and died on 12 February 1954. His filming techniques and theories influenced the Dziga Vertov Group, a radical filmmaking collective active from 1968 to 1972, as well as the cinéma vérité style of documentary filmmaking.

His most famous film was Man with a Movie Camera (1929). This film portrays a day in a Russian city, however, it was filmed in several cities over 4 years. Vertov was heavily influenced by Eisenstein's use of montage and his aesthetic was driven by his political beliefs as a communist.

Vertov believed that film truth should be captured, which is fragments of the actuality that, when organized together, have a deeper truth that cannot be seen by normal people. Vertov's Kino-Pravda focused on everyday experiences, eschewing bourgeois concerns. Vertov also filmed things without even asking for permission.

Vertov is criticized by the obvious stages in this film as beignet odds with Vert's credos of "life as it is" and "life caught unawares". The scene of the women getting out of bed and getting dressed is obviously staged.

Veto believes that "life as it is" means to record life as it would be without the camera present. " Life caught unawares" means to record life when surprised, and perhaps provoked by the presence of a camera, which contradicts his original statement. His slow and fast motion and other camera techniques were a way to dissect the image.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Codes and conventions of documentary

Codes and conventions of documentary

Preliminary task: editing using Premiere Pro

 Although I have already decided that for my preliminary task, I will be editing using Davinci Resolve due to it being more accessible, while I'm at school, I decided to edit the preliminary task with Premiere Pro as well just to compare the results.                                           I used Premiere Pro last year to edit my tasks but in my opinion, I found it far harder to use than Davinci Resolve, however now I am getting more comfortable with this software and would like to start using it more by practicing on it.

Ideas for the questions in my surveys

In my documentary due to the topic being sensitive I would like to complete my own research in which the candidates will appear anonymous. I believe this will provide a much stronger meaning and reinforce real statistics rather than statistics found on the internet. I aim to create a survey that any male individual can participate if they wish; I then want to compare these results with each other and see if there are trends which become macro or micro. I am not quite sure yet if I want to make the samples micro but more detailed, or macro and less detailed. I believe it would be better if I made the sample on the survey macro and then I can conclude an interview with a participant which focuses in more detail on the topic. I am also considering doing a survey for females, in which they state their beliefs into the terrible topic of male suicide. I feel like this would be beneficial to spread awareness to people. I have thought of numerous examples which I may use in my survey such as: ...