Skip to main content

Final task: my first documentary subject

For the first subject of my documentary, I decided to interview my friend Alexei. Although I wanted to have a more professional view of my topic, I believe Alexei provides a deeper thought process into this topic. Alexei has dealt with mental health problems throughout his whole life. During my preliminary task, the subject takes us on a journey throughout his life.

The subject explained what it was like to grow up in a different country (India) in extreme poverty, throughout his childhood. The subject explains the consequences this has had on his mental state later in life. However, apart from early childhood, the subject also gives us background information into his current state now being an 18-year-old.

The subject describes what it feels like to move out of his childhood home, and rent his own flat meanwhile being fully employed from home; he describes the loneliness of this, and how he feels alone as he is not used to not being around people. 

I believe Alexei is a perfect subject. I feel as if he provides the truth which a lot of young males with surely relate to. I feel as if it is good to have a subject that is within the target audience as lots of people will be able to relate. I also feel as if his opinions are valid and would be reliable among different candidates.

Alexei has been one of my closest friends for many years. I first met him in school at age 11, and since then, we have been very close friends. I feel as if this close relationship between us allows us to have a much more open and unhidden conversation.

I plan to use Alexei in my main task but I would also like to have a professional opinion in the documentary. I plan to conduct two interviews but I only want them to be short, therefore allowing both opinions to be heard in the same light.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Codes and conventions of documentary

Codes and conventions of documentary

Preliminary task: editing using Premiere Pro

 Although I have already decided that for my preliminary task, I will be editing using Davinci Resolve due to it being more accessible, while I'm at school, I decided to edit the preliminary task with Premiere Pro as well just to compare the results.                                           I used Premiere Pro last year to edit my tasks but in my opinion, I found it far harder to use than Davinci Resolve, however now I am getting more comfortable with this software and would like to start using it more by practicing on it.

Critical reflection essay

  According to Steve Neale, codes and conventions ultimately convey the idea of documentaries such as interview formats, non-diegetic voiceovers, diegetic music, onscreen graphics, and the use of mise en scene. ‘Our Silent Emergency’ by Roman Kemp (2021), doubtlessly influenced my documentary in its use of conventions. Kemp tends to narrate the documentary through a non-diegetic voiceover, which is an element that I have adapted in mine. During my research on Bill Nicholls's six types of documentaries, I gained the inspiration to create a participatory documentary; I felt as if this subgenre of documentary perfectly matches the description of what I wanted to create. This led me to believe my documentary was participatory because it includes people in front of the camera and not just my experience with the topic such as performative documentaries.   Another convention in which I decided to research was editing   and the use of montage and juxtaposition. In my opinion...